Friday, September 2, 2022

Wild thing

 Call me a wild thing,

find me in the root

 at the base of

the old willow tree


Steeped in a shock

of wildflowers

up to my chest

burning bright

with a smile 


Call me a wild thing

where I built a house 

out of cherry tree wood

fingers stained red

I hid there 

till the wind was still

as mushrooms

as lilacs

as blueberries


Hiding from the hurricane

of razor blades

the shower of poppy seeds

the stolen breaths

between and in-between


Call me a wild thing

when my howl rings

on the moon-silver marshes

my steps tracing

a line in the earth


Stirring a dance of embers

Into a wild dervish

Of hands seeking god

Face tilted slightly

One eye towards the sun

One eye for the earth

ears listening for thunder


Call me a wild thing

O sweet one

O gentle blossom

O lantern of my soul


Sleep now

In the cherry tree house

I have built you

a bed of feathers

I have plucked from

the highest nests

Come home to me, 

sit by my fire

and rest gently


As you fall asleep

You call me a wild thing

And for the first time 

I believe you





 










No comments:

Post a Comment